HOW TO DONATE CLOTHES
What would you wear to a job interview? That is exactly the type of clothing we are looking for to distribute to our clients. Your fabulous suits and other professional apparel could furnish another man with the confidence to enter or return to the workplace, make a great first impression and land a job that could change his life.
Additionally, many of our clients go directly to an interview, so please ensure that all items donated are freshly dry-cleaned / laundered and ironed, on hangers, not more than 5 years old, and suitable for wearing to job interviews.
Please ask yourself a few questions before you bring in your donations:
Have I worn this suit, slacks, shirt, jacket or shoes within the last 10 years?
If the answer is YES! We will gladly accept them. If you have attire to donate you have worn before 2012 – please remember we would like the men we serve to go to their upcoming interview or new job with confidence. There are also some “classic” pieces that never go out of style – think Basic Black!
Is it clean and free from stains on the collar? Or deodorant stains under the arm area? AND free from any rips or holes?
If the answer is YES! We will gladly accept them. We have no way to launder all the donations that come in – please ensure they are clean before arrival so they are ready to wear.
What happens to items I donate you cannot use for your Men on the Move Career Closet?
If clothing is out of date and not appropriate for the men to wear to an interview – we may:
- Donate to another Referral Agency if they have a casual clothing closet
- St. Vincent DePaul picks up any items we do not keep once a week
- We have a Free Clothing Event Quarterly
Some tips to help donors:
We are excited to announce that we are moving! Stay tuned for details on our new location.
When to donate:
During this time of transition, please call 515-697-7701 to schedule an appointment to donate items.
- Interview appropriate suits
- Interview appropriate dress shirts (white shirts always a necessity)
- Professional separates including shirts, slacks, blazers and jackets (suit sizes 48 and up always a necessity)
- Work appropriate shoes (sizes 11 and up always a necessity)
- Ties and belts
- "Ready to Wear" (If possible, please leave clothing on hangers or nicely folded in boxes)
CLOTHING NOT ACCEPTED
- Non Professional Clothing (denim, t-shirts, shorts, athletic wear)
- Ripped, stained or not clean (please no stains or deodorant stains)
- 100% Linen
- Women’s clothing (please consider Dress For Success Des Moines Please call 288-0130 for more information)
Thank you for supporting Men on the Move Career Clothing Closet.